Pezesha is a Fintech institution that connects lenders with high quality, underserved low-income borrowers. Pezesha exists to give choice, inclusion and affordable digital financial services to low-income borrowers in Africa to bring freedom, equality and hope to them and their communities as part of the formal financial system. Pezesha is revolutionising the way micro businesses access affordable credit using data and credit analytics.
Pezesha is led by a team of passionate individuals and advisors with diverse experience in Credit, Fintech, Telecommunications, Regulation and building successful tech startups in Kenya and across other emerging markets. We are based in Nairobi, Kenya.
We seek to recruit a Chief Financial Officer who shall navigate between strategy and detail, bring passion to the role, think and add value across the business. They will thrive on the uncertainty, and add credibility through communication and impact. They have to be sensitive leaders, assertive, collaborative and savvy. They will have a pulse on the business, and as such, are a pivotal member of Pezesha team.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a multi-disciplinary full time role that demands diverse skills. They will be accountable for the administrative, financial, and risk management operations of the company, the development of a financial and operational strategy, set metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and long term shareholder value.
The CFO will be a key driver of strategic thinking and evaluating growth opportunities after consideration of the facts and assessment of the risks, to guide the team to make brave decisions and to place some well calculated bets, or to put the brakes on. It’s about working in the team, but it isn’t a popularity contest and the tough decisions need to be taken.
Most importantly, the CFO will work closely alongside the CEO, almost ‘joined at the hip’, and expected to be the one who will stand up to and challenge, having an independent mind and an ability to stand back, while at the same time supporting the CEO. The skill is an ability to build loyalty and yet at the same time an ability to challenge.
An affinity with numbers and the ability to interpret them for others, set against a backdrop of effective risk management and an intrinsic ability to sense and manage cash-flow requirements, will always be the core responsibility and skillset, but it’s now a multidisciplinary position that demands a diverse set of skills.
Principal accountabilities are:
- Assist in formulating the company’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Monitor and direct the implementation of strategic business plans
- Develop financial models and strategies to help the business grow to be scalable and sustainable
- Manage the capital request and budgeting processes
- Develop performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction
- Forecasting, modelling and KPIs analysis on a regular basis
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Manage a world class in-house credit cycle from evaluation, administration and collections to ensure efficiency, security, risk and fraud control throughout the entire cycle
- Maintain in-depth relations with all members of the management team and board of directors
- Manage and oversee the financial, accounting, human resources, investor relations, legal and tax components in the business
- Build and Manage any third party relationships to which accounting, finance, audit and debt collections functions have been outsourced
- Oversee the company’s transaction processing systems
- Implement operational best practices
- Report Financial results to the board of directors and shareholders
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company’s risk profile and loan portfolio
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping and KYC processes meet the requirements of auditors and are in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Report risk issues to the audit committee of the board of directors
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
- Assist the CEO in preparing and presenting debt and equity financing opportunities
- Lead and assist the CEO in fundraising management and due diligence process
- Supporting the CEO in Investor relations
Desired Qualifications: The Chief Financial Officer should have at least a degree in accounting or Economics or equivalent business experience and 7-10+ years of progressively responsible experience in a credit or financial related business. Additional skills such as CPA, ACCA, or CFA certifications and credit risk analysis will also be an added advantage. HavIng worked in an Entrepreneurial or startup environment will be a plus. Should have experience in partnering with an executive team, and have a high level of written and oral communication skills. Share in our values and attributes of creativity, innovation, self drive and agile methodology.
Additional Qualifications: At least more than 5 years of experience in operations and be ready to also double up in operations related tasks and management.
Compensation: Salary + discretionary performance based bonus. Market based stock based incentives appropriate for the role and vesting over a 4 year period.
To Apply: Please send your CVs and cover letter to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the title of the job on the subject header of the email (REF 23/Pezesha CFO). The applicants who do not indicate THE REF NO and job title will be automatically disqualified.
Deadline: January 31st 2018.