Who Are Our Lenders
MFIs,Banks,Alternative lenders,Individuals, Diaspora Community, Investment Clubs, Chamas & Saccos
Why Invest In Pezesha
Maximize Your Returns
We give you more returns than what you will get in a bank or money market investment.
Our robust credit scoring model
uses complete and verified data from Channel partners like Safaricom to accurately determine the ability and willingness to repay for the borrowers you lend to
Our track record
We have more than 10 years of experience in Fintech, investments and risk based portfolio management to maximize returns for our investors
Unlock new investment opportunities
Kenyans/Africans are already lending money to each other everyday, be it through social groups or family networks. We as Pezesha are digitizing the existing culture by creating new investment opportunities to earn compelling returns by lending to quality micro entrepreneurs in fast moving and agri sectors that in turn create socioeconomic impact.
Consumer protection, the heart of our business
We ensure data security, privacy controlled access and standards. We have adapted OECD best practices in knowing our customers, our investors and their controlling stakeholders. We take this seriously and do not work with any client who cannot pass our stringent criteria.
As with any investment there are associated risks. The team at Pezesha uses an effective three-pronged approach that minimizes investor’s risk and maximizes their return including but not limited to:
Prudent Risk Policy
When onboarding a borrower we conduct thorough checks to determine their capacity to pay. Using our robust credit-scoring model we establish the borrower’s credit score and reference third party information from Credit Reference Bureaus.
We put your eggs in many baskets!!! The Pezesha platform spreads your risk by lending your funds across multiple borrowers.
Effective Recovery Policy
We make the best effort to recover your investment. We have partnered with debt collection agencies to aid in the recovery of funds. If a borrower defaults on their payment, Pezesha will forward their names and details to a credit reference bureau for blacklisting.
HOW PEZESHA WORKS FOR INVESTORS
Simple Secure Automated
Create an account with us in minutes.
Choose your lending strategy based on your risk preference.
We use automated and fractionalized lending to diversify your risk.
See your perfomance realtime from your mobile dashboard.
Receive real time notifications on your app when you top up ,withdraw and when your borrower repays back.
Learn more about the other ways we reduce risk for lenders from our FAQs
- What are the benefits of being a lender on Pezesha?
- Earn solid returns of 14%-50% per year compounded Annual Rate compared to fixed deposits in banks and micro lending savings options of 3-7% per year.
- Ability to choose your portfolio structure
- Low investment volatility. A lender could earn an annual return within the range of 24% to 34% per annum.
- Membership in Pezesha investment club to access strategic networking events and other lucrative investment opportunities
- Be part of creating social and economic impact
- Give an example of how Pezesha works
Mary needs Ksh. 5,000 ($50) to buy weekly stock for her small kiosk in a low income neighbor hood in Nairobi. She does not have the cash available to buy her products and therefore has to temporarily close, despite knowing she would have Ksh. 10,000 in a month’s time from her revenues.
Through our mobile platform, Mary requests a loan from Pezesha, who conduct an automated credit score in 30 seconds through robust verified data sources, and then sources the amount from Kenyans with idle/spare capital.
Mary can then grow her business, and improve her credit rating, paying back with mobile money.
- What is the process of becoming a lender on Pezesha?
It’s an easy process.
- First fill in our Expression of Interest (EOI) form at https://goo.gl/0DRU3X
- You can then choose to be either a Bronze Lender or a Silver Lender.
- What are the ways I can choose to lend?
- Silver lender: Lend by yourself
- Bronze lender: We manage your portfolio on your behalf
- Silver Lender: Preferred option
Lend directly through the platform by downloading our app by the name Pezesha from the App store. The following Terms & Conditions (T&Cs) abide https://goo.gl/mLnuae. If you have any questions about it please contact us directly. Pros
- Full control of your account i.e.you can directly do top ups through M-pesa, withdrawals, recycling of funds etc
- Membership in Pezesha investment club to access strategic networking events and other lucrative investment opportunities
- Chances of generating higher returns of up to 50% per year from re-lending through accumulating interest
- Freedom to choose and manage your portfolio based on your risk appetite
- KYC process is shorter as all you need is to download the app, register your accurate details, accept our T&Cs and start lending
- You are not guaranteed of the return, meaning you could lose up to an average of 5%-10% of your entire portolfio investment
- For now, one can only lend as an individual and not as a group/investment club.
- Maximum top up of Kshs 140,000 through M-pesa
- Bronze Lender:
Pezesha lends on your behalf. In this case, you/your investment club do not want to be caught in the hustle of registration or managing your portfolio as it continues to grow.
The T&Cs are provided upon request through our email: email@example.com
- We lend through our Pezesha Fund and guarantee you an interest of 1.3% per month that translates to 18% per year which is still higher than banks currently at 12%-14% per year. And M-shwari at 7%-11% per year.
- Interest payable every end month and you can choose to compound and roll over to double your guaranteed returns
- KYC process is longer due to additional information and checks that are required in accordance to law and business processes.
- You can only view the performance of your portfolio through monthly reports but Pezesha gets to have full autonomy of the portfolio management and risk diversification
- Funds are locked for a minimum period of 1 year and in the case the funds are withdrawn sooner the lender pays a penalty fee of 30% of the total interest earned.
- How do I top up and withdraw funds on the Pezesha platform?
Pezesha works by lenders topping up to a mobile wallet that is used to fund local Kenyan businesses.Top up is done either through M-Pesa Paybill or directly from the app as follows;
Our M-Pesa PayBill number is 898927. Your ID number is your account Number.
Go to the top-up tab then enter the amount to credit, once you click on top-up, an MPESA request pop-up will appear on your screen, then proceed to Answer with 0, to create a PIN for your transaction. Then top-up the amount preferred from your M-pesa.
- What is the minimum and maximum amount I can deposit?
Kshs 3,000 is the minimum investment top up. One can top up as low as Kshs 5,000 and M-pesa allows a maximum top up of Kshs 140,000/- (USD 1,400) per day.
- Will you always be taking in new lenders?
No, when we have more supply of lenders than we require, we reserve the right to stop the acceptance of new lenders into our platform for a period of time. We will also notify lenders when necessary.
- What is the repayment process?
When a borrower repays their loan, a credit will be made on your Pezesha account, which you can further use to fund other Kenyan businesses within the Pezesha platform, or withdraw from your account.
We encourage you to recycle your repaid amounts instead of withdrawing the funds as the compounding effect will maximize your returns.
Please note that there is a Ksh. 33 withdrawal fees.
- What kind of returns could I make?
Pezesha is currently working with 4 types of 30 day loan products. These are:
(a) a Ksh. 1,000 loan from which you can earn a fee (return/revenue) of Ksh. 75 or 7.5% in 30 days (on top of the amount you lend) if the loan is fully repaid;
(b) a Ksh. 3,000 loan from which you can earn a fee (return/revenue) of Ksh. 150 or 5% in 30 days (on top of the amount you lend) if the loan is fully repaid;
(c) a Ksh 5,000 loan from which you can earn a fee (return/revenue) of Ksh. 200 or 4% in 30 days (on top of the amount you lend) if the loan is fully repaid;
(d) a Ksh 10,000 loan from which you can earn a fee (return/revenue) of Ksh. 325 or 3.25% in 30 days (on top of the amount you lend) if the loan is fully repaid;
- What are the risks involved?
Please note, lenders bear the full risk if a loan is not repaid, fully or partially. Pezesha is not lending your money, you are. That said, it is our job at Pezesha to make sure that we stringently assess all borrowers before they are eligible for loans, this ensures repayment, which in turn ensures stable investor returns. We advocate for a prudent risk policy that involves:
- Pre-screening: Before on-boarding a borrower, we conduct thorough checks to determine their capacity to pay. Using our credit-scoring model, we establish the borrower’s credit score and reference third party information from Credit Reference Bureaus.
- Diversification: We put your eggs in many baskets!!! The Pezesha platform spreads your risk by lending your funds across multiple borrowers.
Please read our Lender Terms & Conditions before signing up as a lender. If you have any questions about it please contact us directly.
- How do you assess whether a borrower is creditworthy or not?
Pezesha uses a number of ways to ensure that our borrowers are likely to repay their loans. This creditworthiness evaluation is done in real time.
- TransUnion/ CRB to know in seconds whether a borrower has failed to repay loans to any other Kenyan financial institutions in the past
- Verified and robust data that we access directly from mobile operators’ APIs with their consent (for example, their mobile money statements) to get a very detailed view of their incomings and outgoings, which in turn allows us to understand whether a borrower has the financial capacity to repay your loan
- Strategic partners/trustees also provide us with 12 months consistent stock and automated business transactions of the micro business they work with
- How do you ensure consumer protection?
Our customer KYC process is thorough with checks and balances including checking with third parties credit databases for any fraud or illegal track record. We do this in a number of ways:
We understand that the character of a borrower is a key factor in whether the borrower will meet his/her loan obligation. To this end, we spend considerable time in educating the borrower as a means of positively influencing the borrower’s character.
Therefore, our loan process starts with educating and creating self-financial awareness to the low income borrowers. This is followed by a clear explanation of the terms and conditions of the loan and how the ability of the borrower to diligently abide by the terms such as timely repayments, helps to improve their credit history performance to ultimately connect them to becoming part of the formal financial system.
Additionally, this education helps us to build a loyal relationship with our customers and understand their needs better. The credit we facilitate is built on responsible financing – transparency and trust to the lenders by giving them sufficient information about the borrowers’ risk profiles and use of funds.
We have closely followed guidelines by FSD Kenya on to how to ensure high levels of consumer protection in what we do.
Importantly, time is taken to explain what the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) is, and to introduce them to the concept and consequences of “blacklisting”.
We explain the Terms & Conditions in a language conversant to the borrowers, and also advise the borrowers on how to contact Pezesha directly with any enquiries/ uncertainties.
In summary, we ensure that the borrowers understand the terms of the loan agreement before proceeding to the loan application process. This includes understanding:
- the foreseeability of harm or consequences including blacklisting if they fail to repay the loan on time;
- the use of the loan in line with moral and ethical principles
- the extent of the burden and consequences if the other members in their group or community do not pay back on time.
- the cost, availability and risks involved.
- Borrower profiling
Importantly, our goal is to be sustainable in the long term, and we know that this will only be possible by ensuring that most of our borrowers have the capacity to pay back the micro loans they are given.
Our profiling helps us to understand the borrowers better and as such, we take guardianship seriously, and are careful not to overextend the amount of credit to an individual until the borrower has proven that they have the ability to generate the necessary payments and thus not fall into a debt trap.
This is governed by our duty of care that involves the signing of a legally binding contract and a digital consent acceptance form on our terms with each borrower.
- What is Pezesha’s default rate?
Our credit scoring continues to evolve to ensure its robust enough to further intelligently assess creditworthy borrowers and automatically reject the ones below the threshold. This will significantly reduce default risk and increase returns for lenders.
Our credit scoring model helps us to identify borrowers at risk of overextending their debt by spotting irregular patterns in the data obtained from the borrowers. This is done through some complex data analytics which has taken into context the Kenyan financial environment, and this is a core tenant of our credit scoring model.
Our team has built successful credit scoring models in Africa before. Our exceptionally talented tech team has built the scoring system to scale with our growth and allow us to closely monitor the performance of our loans. This allows us to better assess our new borrowers in order to tailor our offering to them, and allow lenders to choose a risk portfolio which best suits them.
- Does Pezesha Invest its own Funds?
Yes. Pezesha investments covers 20% to 40% of the total loans granted on our platform. Our investment strengthens our “skin in the game” in understanding and learning from our own data, risks and consumer behaviour, as well as patterns to reduce the risk of bad debts.
Pezesha will continue to invest alongside other lenders on the platform as this also helps us to maximize our returns in the short and long term. We walk the talk: Pezesha invests its own money on the platform to also demonstrate our confidence in our credit scoring model and also to gauge borrower behavior in terms of repayment and default so as to further enhance our credit scoring model.
- What do you do to ensure a loan is repaid on time? What do you do if a loan is not repaid on time or past 90 days?
We have implemented an effective recovery policy: We make the best effort to recover lenders’ investment.
We send frequent SMS reminders and calls to borrowers on their loan repayment schedule – from day 1 to day 30. If they are late, we send them automated follow up SMS reminders. Furthermore, we work closely with community champions to assist in the collection process. We then do a follow up call and SMS in the event a borrower defaults on their repayment.
Thereafter, Pezesha forwards their names and details to a credit reference bureau, TransUnion, that doubles up as our external debt collection agency for blacklisting after day 90.
We ensure the external collection agency practices align with our values, approach and reporting policies through our monthly reviews and weekly communication and reporting. This is achieved through brainstorming cost effective and fair sanctions that include but not limited to giving the borrowers choices of restructuring their debt while ensuring that they are not incentivized to restructure when they could otherwise repay on time. After day 120, we then write off the loan.
In the event that a repayment goes past its term, the borrower incurs daily charges to encourage them to quickly settle their balance. The penalty interest will be included in the investor’s return.
- Can I withdraw money from a loan that I have made before it has been repaid?
When funds are committed to a loan that has been disbursed, the money is with the borrower and cannot be reclaimed until it is repaid. When the borrower begins making repayments, these earnings are transferred back to your Pezesha account. Once the funds are in your Pezesha account, you can withdraw the funds at your convenience though we encourage you to re-invest to maximize your long-term returns.
- What is the difference between Funding Balance and Lending Balance on the app?
The lending balance is the same as your wallet balance and is the amount which is available for withdrawal at any point in time.
However, the funding balance is the amount which can be utilized for granting out loans.
Typically, both lending balance and funding balance show the same figure for lenders who loan continuously from both interest earned and principal repaid.
These two balances will only be different if a lender chooses to lend out from only principal repayments. In this case, the funding balance will be lesser than the lending balance.
- How do I get to know when my borrower has made a repayment?
If you chose the silver option, you can access all your repayment notifications from the app dashboard. The button is on the upper right side of the app. Once you click on the menu bar, a pop-up menu will appear listing Settings, Notifications, and Log Out, click on the Notification button which brings you to another page with your borrowers’ repayments updates at each given time and date.
- Are there any tax implications for me that I need to be aware of when I lend on Pezesha?
Yes. Returns/Revenues that you earn on Pezesha will be considered part of your taxable income.
- DISCLAIMER: Deducting Withholding Tax (WHT) for lenders:
As from the month of June 2017, Pezesha started deducting 15% Withholding Tax for all interest earned by lenders on our platform. This includes all interest on penalties accrued from late borrowers. This is a mandatory requirement by law under paragraph 5 of the third schedule of the income Tax Act. Lenders Wallet balance will be less WHT deductions.
You can now see all the WHT from your dashboard on the app and when you click on it you will see the fine details of all loans and their deductions accordingly. Kindly note that we will be issuing you the Withholding Tax Certificate end of the year. That said, we are always flexible to issue it upon request by a lender and in the case of a Bronze lender, we issue it on a monthly basis.
- Who owns Pezesha?
Pezesha is owned and run by other fellow Kenyans who have over 10+ years of experience in the credit and business sector. The Pezesha Team is made up of local individuals and local lenders whose aim is to empower other fellow Kenyans, ensuring equal opportunities and financial inclusion for all Kenyans.
- I have more questions – does Pezesha have a customer care service?
Yes. Please send us any questions or enquiries that you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
For More information and 24/7 support reach out to us on email@example.com