Pezesha is a Fintech institution that connects lenders and investors with high quality, underserved low-income borrowers. Pezesha exists to give choice, inclusion and affordable digital financial services to low-income borrowers in Africa to bring freedom, equality and hope for them and their communities as part of the formal financial system. Pezesha is revolutionising the way micro businesses access affordable credit using alternative data and credit analytics.
Pezesha is led by a team of passionate individuals and advisors with diverse experience in Credit, Fintech, Telecommunications, Regulation and building successful tech startups in Kenya and across other emerging markets. We are based in Nairobi, Kenya.
We seek to recruit a Credit Risk Portfolio Manager who shall navigate between strategy and detail, bring passion to the role, think and add value across the business. They will thrive on the uncertainty, and add credibility through communication and impact. They have to be sensitive leaders, assertive, collaborative and savvy. They will have a pulse on the business, and as such, are a pivotal member of Pezesha team and will be expected to collaborate with data, operations and accounting teams.
The Credit Risk Portfolio Manager is a multi-disciplinary full time role that demands diverse skills. The primary function of this role shall be:
- Underwrites, tracks, analyzes, and maintains the company’s portfolio of loans issued.
- Development of financial and credit risk models
- Liquidity strategy & management
- Portfolio management & analysis
- Credit Operations
- Reporting to the CEO and the board on risk issues and mitigation strategies
Principal accountabilities are:
- Understand, manage and mitigate key elements of the company’s PAR, NPLs and any other related risks on an ongoing basis
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems to manage portfolio at risk
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping and KYC processes meet the requirements of auditors and are in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Identifying the key financial and non-financial risks, recommending actions for mitigation of those risks.
- Building and updating financial models using historical data and providing forecasts based on various industry-related operating metrics.
- Ensuring accurate modeling of allocated portfolios and developing new models and enhancing the existing models.
- Applying appropriate sensitivity and scenario analysis to support investment actions.
- Forecasting, and KPIs analysis and tracking on a regular basis
- Coming up with strategic financial products to complement our value propositions to our investors/lenders and improve our pricing models and liquidity optimisation.
- Manage a world class in-house credit cycle from evaluation, administration and collections to ensure efficiency, security, risk and fraud control throughout the entire cycle
- Design and implement credit best practises
- Manage, implement and improve the credit underwriting process and continually improve underwriting criteria.
- Effective communication to investors/lenders on their portfolio performance on a daily/weekly and monthly basis
- Develop reports for outside stakeholders, including investors and lenders
- Provide weekly reports to key members of the team regarding PaR and current non-performing loans (NPLs);
- Organise and manage monthly to quarterly lenders/investors educational workshops on our products and improvements.
Other secondary responsibilities
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
- Assist the CEO in preparing, presenting and sourcing new debt and equity financing opportunities
- Excellent excel skills for at least 5 years
- MUST HAVE: Degree in Mathematics or Statistics and/or Actuarial Science
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- At least 2 years experience in risk management and financial analysis
- Problem solving ability
- ADDED ADVANTAGE: software development or engineering skills
Compensation: Salary + discretionary performance based bonus. Market based stock based incentives appropriate for the role and vesting over a 4 year period. Part of the management team.
To Apply: Please send your CVs and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the title of the job on the subject header of the email (REF 22/Pezesha Credit Risk Portfolio Manager). The applicants who do not indicate THE REF NO and job title will be automatically disqualified.